RSS

The Implications of Probability Theory for the Theist/Atheist Debate

01 Dec
This is a pretty disturbing implication I just thought of while driving to one of my soirees this past couple of days for Thanksgiving.

What are we saying when we say something has a 90% probability? The longer phrase is, obviously, that this thing has a 90% probability of being "true". The implication being that if you decide to advocate some position that has a low probability, like say 10% probability, then you are essentially arguing for something that has a 90% probability of being false. Faith, of course, is believing in something that intrinsically has a low probability; arguing for something that is an extraordinary claim is essentially arguing for something that has a high probability of being a lie.

What this means is that people who think that faith is a virtue – people who think that believing in things that have a low probability is a virtue – are really saying that they think that believing in something that has a high probability of being a lie is a virtue. I guess this makes sense, given what I think is the nature of Christian faith.

 
If this is the case, then why not just only believe in things that have a high probability of being true? I don't think that would count as "faith" anymore.
Advertisements
 
Comments Off on The Implications of Probability Theory for the Theist/Atheist Debate

Posted by on December 1, 2011 in apologetics

 

Comments are closed.

 
NeuroLogica Blog

My ὑπομνήματα about religion

Slate Star Codex

SSC DISCORD SERVER AT https://discordapp.com/invite/gpaTCxh ; SCHELLING POINT FOR DISCUSSION IS WED 10 PM EST

Κέλσος

Matthew Ferguson Blogs

The Wandering Scientist

Just another WordPress.com site

NT Blog

My ὑπομνήματα about religion

Euangelion Kata Markon

A blog dedicated to the academic study of the "Gospel According to Mark"

PsyPost

My ὑπομνήματα about religion

PsyBlog

Understand your mind with the science of psychology -

Vridar

Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science

Maximum Entropy

My ὑπομνήματα about religion

My ὑπομνήματα about religion

My ὑπομνήματα about religion

atheist, polyamorous skeptics

Criticism is not uncivil

Say..

My ὑπομνήματα about religion

Research Digest

My ὑπομνήματα about religion

Disrupting Dinner Parties

Feminism is for everyone!

My ὑπομνήματα about religion

The New Oxonian

Religion and Culture for the Intellectually Impatient

The Musings of Thomas Verenna

A Biblioblog about imitation, the Biblical Narratives, and the figure of Jesus

%d bloggers like this: